Vintage reuse


Included in the fabrics my MIL sent me, was a vintage yo-yo quilt. Or to be more accurate pieces of the top layer of a vintage yo-yo quilt. Quite stained and old, the quilt top is slowly deteriorating. Many of the pieces are silk, and some are vintage rayon. Some have separated into layers, and for some the hand stitches holding each rosette to its neighbor are the strongest part. I gently hand washed the bits I wanted to use in delicate detergent made for dolls clothing, and some disintegrated completely!

However that doesn't mean that these elements can't be used for textile arts. For my most recent contribution to Coolaberration '09, Shimasani, I have appliqued washed pieces to a piece of lace and added beading and embroidery to make her underskirt, as well as attaching rosettes to the lining of her velvet cape. More pictures soon, when she is complete.


I also have made a whole bunch of these small beaded buttons. Some have found their way onto Shimasani, and here are the rest. The metallic thread adds a little glint, the pearls are just the right size, and the small beads are pretty.


I'm planning to use some of these for some pins. Stay tuned.

Comments

I guess it wouldn't be 'right' to send Shudayra back in your direction for the addition of one of your pretty buttons? Oh well, I know Shimasani will be thrilled!
I could send on a couple for Shudayra, whom they would certainly suit.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern to Market Challenge - Mood Board 1